Unfortunately, bushfires are a problem for people living in the Penrith or the Blue Mountains. However, Woodford Homes has over two decades of experience in fortifying your home to withstand these bushfires. Since we live and work in the local communities, we’re also very up-to-date on all of the council regulations and permits required to build new homes or renovate existing ones.
This is why our clients come back to us again and again — because they know that we’ll do everything we can to protect one of their biggest assets, their homes. Several of our bushfire prevention steps include:
- Steel Frames— Steel doesn’t burn, and this makes it an excellent alternative to traditional timber framework. Our steel frames are built to withstand even the hottest bushfires without compromising their structural integrity or having major damage. Additionally, our timber frames have gone through rigorous testing to ensure they can withstand high temperatures.
- Window Precautions—We can outfit your windows with metal frames and metal shutters that are designed to keep your home’s interior safe and secure during a bushfire. Additionally, our glass meets the thickness requirements as set by your local council.
- Decks—At Woodford Homes, we have a variety of fire-retardant timber on hand that we can use to renovate your existing deck. This will keep it safer in the event of a fire. We’ll also minimise the spacing between the timber and seal off the underside to prevent embers from getting under the house and smouldering.
- Gutters and Roofs— Pitched roofs without a lot of small valleys are excellent ways to prevent embers from sitting and smouldering or getting stuck. Additionally, fire plugs in your gutters are a good idea in the event of an emergency.
- Outdoors—While you can’t protect everything, using Woodford Homes’ knowledge and experience to design an outdoor area that can help to prevent the spread of fire or dropping branches and flowers.
We’ll also deal with your local council and get you all of the required permits, paperwork and certifications you need to ensure that your home is to regulation and that it’ll stay as safe as it possibly can in the event of a bushfire.
To read about Blue Mountains Council Bushfire and emergency mangement
Contact Woodford Homes Today!
Are you curious as to whether or not your home is up to regulation? Perhaps you want to make your home bushfire proof. Either way, you can give us a call at 4751 9577 and ask to speak to our Client Services Manager, Allen Smith.
We’ll set up a consultation with you at your home or during our normal business hours to discuss your plans, recommend fixtures and fittings, and show you examples of our work. You can also contact us here.
What our clients say about us
E. Jimenez & J. Marchant - Springwood
Jenn & Tony Harris - Hazelbrook
Shiree & Martin Woolnough
- A and K Phuntsok - Winmalee
Rosemary & Will Deusien - Glenmore Park
Jenny Stevens and Simon Gray
Kathy & Stephen Watkins - Hazelbrook
C & G Stinson – Hazelbrook
I would strongly advise anyone who thinks they can ‘do it themselves’ to think about whether they want to spend 4 or 6 years of their life tied down to the uncertain boundaries of a building project, or contract wonderful builders like Woodford Homes who can work with you creatively, finding solutions to your desires, and complete the work within a couple of months instead of years.
A. Chandler - Hazelbrook
Janette & Paul Warton - Erskine Park
A & K Lawson - Bullaburra
K & B Rayner – Winmalee
N & D Parish - Katoomba
Amy & Bob Barrett - Emu Plains
T & M Holland - Wentworth Falls